Please keep in mind that, unless otherwise noted, everything on my blog is copyright material of some sort. Either by me (as picture taker, writer, creator) or more importantly by the designer of the needlework pieces I present. If you promise to be copyright mindful, my promise to you is to do my best to provide you enough information in my post for you to obtain your own legal copy. Please be respectful of these copyrights and not take business away from our wonderful designers. Thank you.
Tuesday, June 29, 2021
Sunday, June 27, 2021
I last told you about this canvas project on June 10th.
I have been stitching most evenings and got it finished and even put it into the tray!!
This picture was taken without the glass, so you can actually see the stitches.
The project was designed to fit onto a Sudberry House Shaker box, but I already had this Sudberry Petite Serving Tray. The opening of the tray is larger than the Shaker box, so at the teacher's suggestion I traced the oval onto my project and added to the squares as needed to make it larger. This took a bit of work, some squares needed to be make larger or totally made up since the original called for basket weave to fill in smaller areas. But it came out nicely in the end!!
It was fun to do and I put the instructions into a portfolio, so it is kind of like a stitch book now.
Friday, June 25, 2021
As I told you on June 9, I am taking a quilting class with my local quilt club, Quilting Bees. Later today will be the last class (class 4), so I thought I would share with you my progress.
Here are the results after 3 classes (actually I jumped a head a bit, teacher said we could) and I put all the pieces together which we could have waited to do at class 4. Class 4 includes next step decisions, so I wanted to get a much done before then as possible. It is about 24 inches square.
Throughout we have learned how to cut fabric, best sewing practices, etc.
Class1 was creating strips.
Class 2 was creating the four square blocks.
Class 3 was the center square in a square and Flying Geese.
Class 4 will be sewing it all together and deciding next steps. I may add a border and not much more. Some people may want to make more of the same and put them together to make a bigger quilt, etc. Lots of possible options to learn.
I think later in the year, maybe the fall we will get back together to create the sandwich and quilt it. This will give people time if they are making it larger with more blocks. Just another fun topic for class 4.
That's All Folks!
Wednesday, June 23, 2021
I last told you about this project on May 30th.
I finished the garland and was brave and cut it out!
Here it is attached to Santa.
Friday, June 11, 2021
Yesterday a Mill Hill Frame I ordered for it came in and I framed it up all by my little self!
Thursday, June 10, 2021
I can't believe the last time I posted about this was October 16, 2010!
It is called American Patchwork by Debbie Stiehler. It was an April, 2010 Foothills EGA workshop.
I have stitched on it since then and got this far by the time I started back on it on May 31, 2021.
Wednesday, June 9, 2021
My local quilt club, Sun City Festival Quilting Bees, is holding a 4 week class every Friday afternoon in June, called quilting 101. We are learning (or re-learning) the basics. We will end up with a project that is about 24 inches square, but we can add to it and make it larger if we want.
Here are my fabrics.
Day 1 we worked on squaring up our fabric and proper cutting. We made strips and four patch squares. Here is my result.
This Friday we will be working with half square triangles.
I can't wait!!
That is all for now!
Tuesday, June 1, 2021
In 2011 I volunteered to be a pilot stitcher for an upcoming Embroiderers Guild of America (EGA) Group Correspondence Course (GCC) called Needlework Tool Case (since retired) by Mary Long .
A pilot stitcher is kind of like a manuscript editor. We stitch the project with the provided instructions marking any corrections or areas unclear to us. A good pilot will also mention the good stuff about the instructions. The idea being we find any problems before it becomes a GCC.
Our instructions were to only do the stitching and then mail it to the designer for critique - just like we would if it were a GCC. We act in all cases like it is a GCC, except it has a more condensed time frame and we need to pay closer attention to the instructions, if that makes sense.
As such, I never finished finished it (finish finishing is making the stitching into it's final product - pillow, framed, etc.). For whatever reason at the time, I just did not understand what I was supposed to do to finish it. Well, I was bound and determined this past weekend to get it done. This time the instructions made total sense to me and I got it done! Go figure.
It did take a bit of hand sewing though, so a tad time consuming. I used my sewing machine to sew on a lining. Then I had to fold the canvas edges over the lining and hand sew that down. That was followed by hand sewing down the inside with all the tool case pockets (which I could make on the machine). That was followed my hand sewing down the twisted cord I had made for the edges. Good thing it is baseball season! I love to stitch to the baseball game because it is slower paced and there is the instant replay!
Here is the outside of the tool case. It is roughly 9 1/2" x 5 1/4". It folds into thirds.